Sunday 4 January 2015

Stonewalling in Marital Relationships







Upset Man Holding Newspaper, Sitting on Bed - LWA/Photographer's Choice/Getty Images
LWA/Photographer's Choice/Getty Images
Stonewalling, is defined as a.To engage in delaying tactics; stall: b. To refuse to answer or cooperate. What exactly does this look like in a marriage? Below are a few examples of stonewalling in a relationship:
  • Your wife has done something that hurts your feelings or, there is a problem in the marriage that you wish to discuss with her. Your attempts to communicate your feelingsover the situation are met with silence. Her way of avoiding conflict is to refuse to participate in the conversation.

  • Your husband spends all weekend watching sports instead of participating in family activities. You sit with him, explain to him that you don’t have a problem with him watching sports but would like for him to take a few hours of his weekend to spend with the family. He responds by folding his arms and muttering, “whatever.” Then he is back to watching the game. He is totally disconnected from the family and what the family needs from him. 
  • Your wife is a shopaholic, so much so that you begin to worry about the financial repercussions of her spending habits. You feel a need to discuss the problem with her and set some boundaries on her spending. Half way through the conversation she changes the subject; it is no longer about her shopping but now about how much time you spend at work. Her taking the spotlight off of her faults and shining it on yours is a display of smugness. “How dare you point out my flaws, when you have flaws of your own.”

  • You are not happy with the lack of intimacy in your marriage. Your husband shows no interest in you or sex with you and it is time to communicate the level of pain and rejection you are feeling. You tell him you are worried about the lack of sex in the marriage, that you want to come up with some solutions to this problem and he walks away. He removes himself from the conversation and the room altogether. He has already distanced himself from you intimately, now he is distancing himself from you physically. Not only does he not want sex with you, he doesn’t want to talk to you either. OUCH!
Men are more prone to stonewall in a relationship because they feel overwhelmed when a wife wants to “talk feelings” or “discuss problems.” We often hear men accuse their wives of “nagging” which, more often than not is in response to their stonewalling her and her need to discuss marital problems.Used to the extreme, stonewalling is a way for one spouse to manipulate the other spouse into getting what they want. It is a dismissal of what is good for the marriage and both spouses in favor of what is good for the one spouse.
Not that women don’t stonewall which results in as much damage but men, who are wired to withdraw and think about a problem, are more likely to use this avoidance tactic more often than women who are more open to communicating feelings and needs.
According to John Gottman, "A marriage succeeds to the extent that the husband can accept influence from his wife. If a woman says, 'Do you have to work Thursday night? My mother is coming that weekend, and I need your help getting ready,' and her husband replies, 'My plans are set, and I'm not changing them'. This guy is in a shaky marriage. A husband's ability to be influenced by his wife (rather than vice-versa) is crucial because research shows women are already well practiced at accepting influence from men, and a true partnership only occurs when a husband can do so as well."
This is typically what happens, the wife nags, the husband becomes defensive and stonewalls by refusing to engage in communication over what the wife views as a problem in the marriage. The wife nags more, becomes angrier and more frustrated. As a result you have a husband who is angry because his wife is constantly “nagging” and a wife who is angry because her husband is constantly “stonewalling.”
Not only does stonewalling damage the marital relationship it is harmful to each spouse physiologically. Men who suppress their emotions and refuse to engage in communication can experience health problems with the autonomic nervous system and heart. In reaction to her husband’s stonewalling the level of stress a wife feels can cause her to suffer the same health problems PLUS anxiety disorders and depression.
The key to reducing stonewalling in a relationship doesn’t lie with the spouse who tends to do the stonewalling. It is the wife, the “nagging wife” who holds the key. Bet you didn’t expect that did you?
When a man is criticized he feels his wife views him as the “bad guy.” The fastest way to get a man to shut down is the give him the impression you think he has done or is doing something bad. If a wife wants to have influence over her husband she needs to learn to communicate without putting him on the defensive.
If you are a wife reading this and hoping to find a way to get him to stop folding his arms and huffing every time you attempt to communicate a problem, these five tips for effective communication by Deborah Spring Laurel is a good starting point.
If you are a husband who is tired of a “nagging” wife show her this article and both of you work on building new communication skills in the marriage.
  • Disengage: When we disengage, we set aside differences temporarily, while we remain willing to address them at a later time. It involves taking time to reflect, reduce the tension, and let our emotions settle.

  • Empathize: To empathize is to put ourselves figuratively in the other person's place. That very act will help squelch defensiveness because we acknowledge what the other person is feeling.

  • Inquire: When we inquire, we uncover the concerns of the other person. Asking questions allows us to focus on our task rather than our disagreement. After we inquire, we need to listen carefully, giving the other person our complete attention.

  • Disclose: When we disclose, we reveal our feelings, needs and goals to the other person. We can do this with "I statements" that describe our emotions, the precipitating event, and its tangible impact.
  • Depersonalize: When we depersonalize, we evaluate behavior rather than the person, and we look at our work as something we do rather than what we are. This allows us to free ourselves and others from the need to respond defensively.
Source:- http://divorcesupport.about.com/od/isdivorcethesolution/a/Stonewalling-In-Marriage-Relationships.htm

10 comments:

  1. I suspected my wife of cheating on me but I never had any proof. This went on for months, I didn't know what to do. i was so paranoid and decided to find a solution, i saw a recommendation about a private investigator and decided to contact him. I explained the situation about my wife to him and he said he was going to help me.I gave him all the informations he required and afterwards i received all my wife’s phones Text messages and calls, I was hurt when i saw a picture of my wife and her lover. I feel so bad about infidelity. but i am glad Mr james was able to help me get all this information, you can contact him via email(worldcyberhackers@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very happy today and thankful to Dr Lawrence for reuniting me with my ex husband. All hope of getting my husband back was lost because my husband left me for another woman for 7 months, before I contacted Dr Lawrence who used his powerful spell to bring him back to me within 24 hours of contacting him through this Email. You can also contact him via +19142088349 for help. drlawrencespelltemple@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello everyone if you wish to seek for a very powerful spell solution then you have to come to Dr Udebhulu a great spell caster of our time the man that brought happiness to my family by helping me return back to me my Ex who left me for another woman just because i could not give him children after 2 years of marriage so i had to share my problems to a close friend who encourage me to contact Dr Udebhulu via his email: shomorikasolutiontemple@hotmail.com and that i did after explaining to this great spell caster he told me not to worry but to believe in his power that after his love spell is done that my ex is to come back to me begging and behold after 3 days i saw a car drove in my house and its was my ex that finally came back to me all thanks to you Dr Udebhulu of shomorikaspelltemple@yahoo.com you are a true father of love and you can callhim via his whatsapp contact: +2349035080936.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi my name is Janice, was with a man for years, a man whom I believed was the one for me, turned out, and he wasn’t, the other 3 woman he had on the side seemed to be perfect for him. I was uninterested in men and love, I lost touch with the outside world, until I tried your service. I refused to feel the way I did when he stomped on my heart. I had a faithful and committed spell casted and I must say I am happily engaged to a man whom I love and he tells me everyday how he adores me. Happy and in love, Germany.
    you can also contact the spell caster

    ; drgarbonspellhome@gmail.com,


    whatsapp; +2348168745537

    ReplyDelete
  5. How can i ever stop saying thank you to Dr Movo, After taking his product today my sexual life is health and balance am living up to my wife expectation. For the past 11 years i have been struggling with weak erection and premature ejaculation. I have spend money on it but no cure until i took this product from Dr Movo just within few days i got cured. for his products contact him email drmovo.supernaturalherbalmedic@gmail.com or WhatsApp/Call +2347061865209.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Name is Mark Schwartz.I will love to share my testimony to all the people in the forum cos i never thought i will have my girlfriend back and she means so much to me..The girl i want to get marry to left me 4 weeks to our wedding for another man..,When i called her she never picked my calls,She deleted me on her Facebook and she changed her Facebook status from married to Single...when i went to her to her place of work she told her boss she never want to see me..I lost my job as a result of this cos i cant get myself anymore,my life was upside down and everything did not go smooth with my life...I tried all i could do to have her back to all did not work out until i met a Man when i Travel to Africa to execute some business have been developing some years back..I told him my problem and all have passed through in getting her back and how i lost my job...he told me he gonna help me...i don't believe that in the first place.but he swore he will help me out and he told me the reason why my girlfriend left me and also told me some hidden secrets.i was amazed when i heard that from him..he said he will cast a spell for me and i will see the results in the next couple of days..then i travel back to US the following day and i called him when i got home and he said he's busy casting those spells and he has bought all the materials needed for the spells,he said am gonna see positive results in the next 2 days that is Thursday...My girlfriend called me at exactly 12:35pm on Thursday and apologies for all she had done thanks be to Great Matatan a powerful spell of (  matatanspell@yahoo.com .  )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once a woman (or man) gives their vow to the other, it puts a moral responsibility in place that both partners should work to maintain.Of course there are men who neglect their wives, just as there are wives who 'don't value their men' but these are issues that need discussion between the two so that the word "cheat" is removed and "consent" is inserted. A wedding vow is made between the two people and God is invoked as the mentor to guide them.My man cheats on me at any opportunity and denies it.To cover up his crabs he constantly accuses me of cheating on him.But all thanks to 'hackingloop6@ gmail . c o m' for their investigative and hacking service that helped me gain access to all his phone activities remotely,though the truth was so painful,but i feel much better facing my fears and going through a noble divorce.hackingloop is also reachable on +1 712 292-2655.He's a legit and reliable hacker,tell him i referred you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. God has sent Dr Ogedegbe to help people out from this horrible virus. I was diagnosed with HPV for 4 years, a few months ago a friend introduced me to dr Ogedegbe and I only took his natural treatment for a week & 3 days, and I totally got cured with his herbal treatment. If you are suffering from HPV, you don’t have to be roaming round dr Ogedegbe email is attached, contact him on email:  dr.ogedegbe6@gmail.com or whatsapp/call him via +2348109374702 ….  

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Thank You Very much Doctor Otonokpo for making my ex boyfriend come back to me. I am Cordelia Sandra from Brazil and i am putting this testimony here too because i want to share my testimony of how i was helped by Doctor Otonokpo within 48 hours of contacting him. Yes, it was last week my ex boyfriend returned to me after i contacted Doctor Otonokpo. My boyfriend was always going back to meet his ex girlfriend because he never really left her. Her name was Sophie. I didn't know how it happened one day after breakfast that i saw him looking at his ex girlfriend's picture on Facebook and I flared at him that he doesn't care about him and he was with me and still thinking about his ex although we have been dating for 6 months. He stormed at me and left the house and never returned. I was heartbroken and wanted him to come back. I was in a nightclub with friend one evening that I saw him with Sophie there, I was humiliated that night and I regretted going there only to see him there. I went online after some days and found Doctor Otonokpo and read about him and I contacted him to help me get him back. I must say that within 48 hours, my boyfriend came back to me and pleaded for leaving me. Is this how spell works so fast? Please, if you want help, contact Doctor Otonokpo too to help you at otonokpotemple@gmail.com
    Call/WhatsApp +2348114129781

    ReplyDelete
  10. cyberlord582@gmail.com are my no.1 most genuine hackers which have worked well for me over several others.....
    Text/whatsapp +1 518 468 2985

    ReplyDelete