Thursday 4 June 2015


This is often what is going to happen when you divorce.  Spend some time thinking about it.  Attitude is ALL!


onpath-m
Today I’d like to share one of my favorite quotes, from Henry Thoreau’s Walden:
“It is desirable that a man […] live in all respects so compactly and preparedly that, if an enemy take the town, he can, like the old philosopher, walk out the gate empty-handed without anxiety.”
I’ve often wondered, if the place I live was suddenly struck by political unrest or natural disaster, could I walk out the door and leave everything behind?
Ten years ago, I might have found this difficult. I was in a more “accumulative” phase of my life, building a household as a young adult. I put a great deal of thought into each purchase, expressing my identity, in some respects, through my choice of clothing, housewares, furniture, and décor. I appreciated aesthetics and good design, and hunted down unique and one-of-a-kind “treasures” to own. Walking away from it all would have been at least mildly distressing.
After a decade of decluttering, purging, and practicing a minimalist lifestyle, I’ve become significantly less attached to my possessions. I own very little, and actually take pains to avoid acquiring anything too expensive, precious, or sentimental. I still appreciate art and design, but I’d rather meet my needs with things that are “good enough,” than invest in pieces I’ll feel obligated to keep the rest of my life.
I’m often reminded of this quote when I hear news reports of forced evacuations due to hurricanes or forest fires. There are often those who stay behind to “defend” or “protect” their homesteads, risking their own lives in order to do so. I, on the other hand, would be the first one out of there and headed to safety!
I wouldn’t give a second thought to most of the stuff I own, and the only possession I’d have difficulty leaving behind is my laptop. However, my distress would be caused by losing the information, not the device itself. Therefore, I back up essential data to both physical media and the cloud, so that the information exists independent of the hardware. Because everything with “memories” is digitized — photographs, letters, postcards, etc. — I don’t have photo albums or sentimental items that would be heartbreaking to lose.
In general, all the “things” in my life can be replaced; and in some cases, I may not even bother to replace them.
I’ve been on my minimalist journey for awhile, some years making more progress than others, but generally continuing on the same path. My latest move (from the US to the UK) was immensely valuable in “releasing” me from my stuff, both physically and mentally.
I’ve pondered the above quote from Walden for years, holding it up as an ideal to which to aspire. I’m thrilled to finally be able to say, and know in my heart to be true, YES, if the circumstances warranted, I could now walk out the gate, empty-handed without anxiety.
What about you? Could you leave it all behind? Is there anything in particular you couldn’t bear to lose?

Source:- http://www.missminimalist.com/2010/03/minimalist-philosophy-to-walk-away-empty-handed/

No comments:

Post a Comment